We offer a warm welcome to all golfers and invite you to play one of the best courses in the North East of England.
There is no single reason why people take up golf but we offer a warm welcome to anyone joining whether for exercise, competition or social contact and friendship. Our current membership is diverse covering all ages, abilities and backgrounds. Our course is open all year - except in very severe weather conditions and Christmas Day and represents good value for money.
Situated in the Land of the Prince Bishops, with many stunning views of the picturesque Wear Valley and Auckland Castle, it is easy to see why we are considered one of the treasures in County Durham. Founded in 1894 on land owned by the Church Commission, the parkland course has retained much of its original character whilst being modified to keep up with the demands of modern golf.
The course has some of the best fairways you could wish to play from and the greens are fine and true. The 7th hole is regarded by many as one of the best in the North of England and has featured in many magazines. The course is truly a good test of golf for all handicaps.
The clubhouse was rebuilt in the 1990's. It`s has two lounges and a large dining room that enjoy spectacular views across the Wear Valley. There is also a separate bar and snooker room. We have a varied social programme running throughout the year and full catering facilities available for members to book for private family functions such as weddings, christenings, birthday parties etc. As a member, or visitor, it is also well worth taking time to enjoy a drink of your preferred beverage prior to playing or after you have finished.
Our professional, Michael Pilgrim, has a fully equipped shop on site and offers friendly advice on all golfing matters. He is also highly respected for his coaching skills.
If you are considering a golf membership give serious consideration to our wonderful club. The facilities and reasonable rates make us outstanding value. Please contact the secretary who will be pleased to show you around and clarify any issues you may have.
We offer a number of ADDITIONAL benefits as part of annual subscriptions including:
* Inclusive golf insurance.
* Free Direct Debits for Members opting to pay monthly.
* Reductions on bar and catering through a loyalty card scheme.
* One complimentary 4 ball each playing season to full members.
* Free golf for family members under 11 years of age.
* Reduced subscriptions for young people upto 28 years.
* Restaurant booking for family functions.
* Regular social events and entertainment.
* A “passport” scheme for Members to play Saltburn, Teeside or Bedale golf clubs for £10 per round (3 times per year).
* Members can play at Catterick for £10 per round.
* Members can play at Boldon, South Moor and Stocksfield for £7.50 per round.
* Members can play at Arcot Hall for free and use their loyalty card for reductions on bar and catering.
* Members can play at Easingwold for £15 per round.
(Full details and conditions via the office)
Grass Root Golf
As well as reduced subscriptions we offer a number of incentives to aid people new to the game including junior coaching and Get Into Golf schemes. Full details can be obtained from the club professional.
Investing for the future
We are a modern and progressive club that is committed to continually improving our course. Significant sums of money have been invested over the past 3 years in new greens, machinery and techniques designed to improve the quality of greens and extend the playing season. We expect to make similar investment in the future to ensure ongoing improvements for our Members.